Doors of Hope Doors of Hope - is


Because He Cares

He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and He will reward him for what he has done Proverbs 19:17
Home - Who Are We - Journey of Hope - My Story - Prince George


Subject Locator Index



TRANSITION HOMES - For a list of BC transition homes see below

Safe Places for Women and Children

BC Transition House Programs

The violence started when I was pregnant. I felt alone, trapped, frightened.
Where could I go? My girlfriend told me about a transition house outside of town.
The counsellors there understood how hard it is. Now I have a new life, and most of all,
my children and I are safe. Angela, Age 25

For too many women and children, violence is part of everyday life. That's why the
government of British Columbia is working with communities to stop the cycle of
violence and create a safe future for B.C. women.

A Place to Stay

It's hard to leave when you don't know where to go. Women have a right to be safe in
their own homes - but sometimes the only safe place is somewhere else.

Transition houses, safe homes and second-stage houses are meant to be safe places.
Their addresses are not widely publicized to try to keep them safer.
When you've finished your stay at a transition house, you are given priority for affordable
housing where it is available.

Transition houses provide temporary housing in a safe, secure environment
for women and their children leaving abusive relationships. Women and their
children usually stay in a transition house for less than a month.

Safe homes provide temporary accommodation in communities where transition
houses do not exist. The safe home may be a rental apartment, private home or hotel unit.

Second-stage houses help women who have left abusive relationships make
long-term plans for independent living. Women and their children usually stay in a
second-stage house for 9-12 months.

A Transition House provides:

a safe place for you and your children

food and other necessities

temporary shelter

support in getting financial, medical or legal help

emotional help and counselling

Stopping the Violence

Help for women who have been beaten or abused is a critical part of the government
plan to stop violence against women. But responding to violence after it happens is
only part of what women and communities need.

The key to eliminating violence against women is stopping the violence before it starts.

We are working with communities to try to change attitudes and behaviours to help prevent
violence in the first place.

Educational resources, publications and awareness campaigns help parents,
teachers and public stop the cycle of violence in the home and in the community. But we need
communities and individuals to take action too.

Services for All Women

Transition houses work hard to keep you and your children safe so that fear of more
violence doesn't keep you from getting the help you need.

Other barriers can cut you off from services too:

your language might not be understood

your culture might not be understood

you may face obstacles if you have a physical disability.

The Ministry of Community, Aboriginal and Women's Services and service
providers want to make sure all women can get the services they need.
That's why we are working to remove barriers by renovating buildings, providing services
in different languages and training people who work in transition houses to identify and
eliminate anything that might make you feel unwelcome.

Women across B.C. worked hard to establish transition houses in their communities.
With funding from the Ministry of Community, Aboriginal and Women's Services,
transition houses and safe homes offer housing for women leaving violent relationships.
They are a safe place to go for you and for your children.

I didn't want my family to know. I never told anyone. Then one night he hit me so hard
I ended up in emergency. A nurse gave me the number for a transition house.
The next day, I went there on the city bus while my husband worked. I now know
I didn't have to live that way and I feel a lot better about myself. Meena, Age 41

If you are in a violent relationship:

Call a transition house. To find the nearest one, look in your phone book under emergency
numbers or call the crisis line.

Leave and take your children with you. It's hard to do. It's hard to figure out where to go
that's safe. a transition house is one place. A friend or neighbor who you know will keep
your whereabouts secret is another.

Call the police. If you need help right away, the police are your best choice for a response.
Use 911 or your community police number. If it's an emergency, say so right away.
Ask them what they can do to protect you.

Call 911 or the police if you need help right away!




The world can change when women come together around a common vision

Several years ago, the provincial, territorial, regional and aboriginal
organizations representing women’s shelters and transition houses
recognized that though each served and supported the shelters and
transition houses in their respective regions, no organization existed to
do the same at a national level.



Vancouver Island/Coast Region

CAMPBELL RIVER: Campbell River & North Island Transition Society
     Phone: (250) 287-7384, Fax: (250) 286-6252

COURTENAY: Comox Valley Transition Society
     Phone: (250) 897-0511, Fax: (250) 897-0595

DUNCAN: Cowichan Women Against Violence Society
     Phone: (250) 748-7000, Fax: (250) 748-8539

NANAIMO: Haven: A Society for Women and Children
     Phone: (250) 741-0550, Fax: (250) 741-0540

PORT ALBERNI: Port Alberni Women's Resources Society
     Phone: (250) 724-7111, Fax: (250) 724-7113

POWELL RIVER: Powell River & Region Transition House Society
     Phone: (604) 485-5335, Fax: (604) 485-6168


SALT SPRING ISLAND: Gulf Island Women's Resource Network
     Phone: (250) 537-0735 Fax: (250) 537-0752

SOOKE: Sooke Transition House Society
     Phone: (250) 642-2591, Fax: (250) 642-2589

UCLUELET: Westcoast Transition House
     Phone: (250) 726-2020, Fax: (250) 726-2353

VICTORIA: Cridge Centre for the Family
     Phone: (250) 479-3963, Fax: (250) 479-3861

VICTORIA: Victoria Women's Transition House Society
     Phone: (250) 380-7527, Fax: (250) 385-5129

Lower Mainland/Southwest Region

ABBOTSFORD: Women's Resource Society of the Fraser Valley
     Phone: (604) 820-8455, Fax: (604) 820-8495

BURNABY: Marguerite Dixon Transition Society
     Phone: (604) 298-3454, Fax: (604) 298-2647

CHILLIWACK: Ann Davis Transition Society
     Phone: (604) 792-2760, Fax: (604) 792-2875

CHILLIWACK: Xolhemet Society
     Phone: (250) 824-0939, Fax: (604) 824-0937

HOPE: Hope & Area Transition Society
     Phone: (604) 869-5191, Fax: (604) 869-5172

LANGLEY (ALDERGROVE): Ishtar Transition House Society
     Phone: (604) 534-0708, Fax: (604) 534-1929

LANGLEY (LANGLEY): Ishtar Transition House Society
     Phone: (604) 534-0708, Fax: (604) 534-1929

MAPLE RIDGE: Cythera Transition House Society
     Phone: (604) 467-9939, Fax: (604) 467-5158

MISSION: Women's Resource Society of the Fraser Valley
     Phone: (604) 820-8455, Fax: (604) 820-8495

NEW WESTMINSTER: Women in Need Gaining Strength (W.I.N.G.S.) Fellowship Ministries
     Phone: (604) 521-1888, Fax: (604) 521-1879

NEWTON (VIRGINIA SAM): Options: Services to Communities Society
     Phone: (604) 572-7411, Fax: (604) 572-0170

NORTH VANCOUVER: North Shore Crisis Services Society
     Phone: (604) 987-1773, Fax: (604) 987-1623

PORT COQUITLAM: Port Coquitlam Area Women's Centre Society
     Phone: (604) 420-2002, Fax: (604) 420-2021

RICHMOND: Chimo Crisis Services
     Phone: (604) 279-7077, Fax: (604) 279-7075

SECHELT: Sunshine Coast Community Services Society
     Phone: (604) 885-5128, Fax: (604) 885-9493

SQUAMISH: Howe Sound Women's Centre
     Phone: (604) 892-5748, Fax: (604) 892-5749

SURREY: Shimai Transition House
     Phone: (604) 581-9100, Toll-Free: 877-581-9100, Fax: (604) 581-9119

SURREY (EVERGREEN): Options: Services to Communities Society
     Phone: (604) 572-7411, Fax: (604) 572-0170

VANCOUVER: Bridge Shelter for Women
     Phone: (604) 684-3542, Fax: (604) 684-3989

VANCOUVER: Helping Spirit Lodge Society
     Phone: (604) 872-6649, Fax: (604) 873-4402

VANCOUVER: Salvation Army, Governing Council of
     Phone: (604) 872-0772, Fax: (604) 872-7775

VANCOUVER: Vancouver Community Mental Health Services
     Phone: (604) 874-7626, Fax: (604) 874-7661

VANCOUVER: Vancouver Rape Relief Society
     Phone: (604) 872-8212, Fax: (604) 876-8450

WHITE ROCK: Durrant Transition House
     Phone: (604) 531-4430, Fax: (604) 531-9132


Thompson/Okanagan Region

KAMLOOPS: Kamloops Community YMCA/YWCA
     Phone: (250) 374-6162, Fax: (250) 374-1733

KELOWNA: Central Okanagan Emergency Shelter Society
     Phone: (250) 763-1040, Fax: (250) 763-3695

PENTICTON: South Okanagan Women In Need Society
     Phone: (250) 493-7233, Fax: (250) 493-3158

REVELSTOKE: Revelstoke Women's Shelter Society
     Phone: (250) 837-4382, Fax: (250) 837-4353

SALMON ARM: Shuswap Area Family Emergency Society
     Phone: (250) 832-9616, Fax: (250) 832-9516

VERNON: Vernon Women's Transition House Society
     Phone: (250) 542-1122, Fax: (250) 549-3347


Kootenay Region

CRANBROOK: Canadian Mental Health Association for the East Kootenay
     Phone: (250) 426-4887, Fax: (250) 426-4808

CRESTON: Kootenai Community Centre Society Safe House
     Phone: (250) 428-7744, Fax: (250) 428-7744, Email:

GRAND FORKS: Boundary Women's Coalition
     Phone: (250) 442-3131, Fax: (250) 442-3600

NELSON: Nelson Community Services Centre Society
     Phone: (250) 352-3504, Fax: (250) 352-3750

TRAIL: Trail Family & Individual Resource Centre Society
     Phone: (250) 364-1543, Fax: (250) 364-1480

North Region

BURNS LAKE: Lakes District Safe Haven Home Society
     Phone: (250) 692-7561, Fax: (250) 692-3064

DAWSON CREEK: South Peace Community Resources Society
     Phone: (250) 782-9174, Fax: (250) 782-4167

FORT NELSON: Healthy Fort Nelson Society
     Phone: (250) 774-2993, Fax: (250) 774-7407


FORT ST. JOHN: North Peace Community Resources Society
     Phone: (250) 785-6021, Fax: (250) 785-4659

KITIMAT: Tamitik Status of Women Association
     Phone: (250) 632-2020, Fax: (250) 632-5202


MASSETT: Haida Gwaii Society for Community Peace
     Phone: (250) 626-4666, Fax: (250) 626-4662

PRINCE GEORGE: Phoenix Transition House Society
     Phone: (250) 563-7315, Fax: (250) 563-2792

PRINCE GEORGE: Prince George & District Elizabeth Fry Society
     Phone: (250) 563-1113, Fax: (250) 563-8765

PRINCE RUPERT: North Coast Transition Society
     Phone: (250) 627-8588, Fax: (250) 627-8960

QUESNEL: Amata Transition House Society
     Phone: (250) 992-7321, Fax: (250) 992-7329

SMITHERS: Northern Society for Domestic Peace
     Phone: (250) 847-9000, Fax: (250) 847-8911

TELEGRAPH CREEK: Three Sisters Haven Society
     Phone: (250) 235-3113, Fax: (250) 235-3115

TERRACE: Ksan House Society
     Phone: (250) 635-6447, Fax: (250) 635-6844

VANDERHOOF: Omineca Safe Home System Society
     Phone: (250) 567-9512, Fax: (250) 567-9523

WATSON LAKE: Help & Hope for Families Society
     Phone: (403) 536-8233, Fax: (867) 536-770

WILLIAMS LAKE: Cariboo Friendship Society
     Phone: (250) 398-5658, Fax: (250) 398-6115




Over 750,000 hits have been generated since January - 2005