Because He Cares

He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and He will reward him for what he has done Proverbs 19:17
Home - Who Are We - Journey of Hope - My Story - Prince George

Subject Locator Index

R U OK? is a movement to help remind  us all  to connect with one another in a meaningful way and to commit to checking in with the people in our lives who might be struggling. Simply asking someone "Are you Okay?" and taking time for them can make a world of a difference. A simple conversation can change a life. To support this movement in Canada you can buy a tshirt and wear it proudly!
Please email or to buy your tshirt in Prince George. Please let us know your size Small - Med - Large - XL
$20.00 each plus shipping the cheapest possible way :)
For more information about R U OK? visit the Australian website or visit the Jim Young Foundation's website at
Find Free grants for veterans

In all 50 states and major cities
Our website provides comprehensive details on grants for veterans. These grants are given away for free, and they could help low income veterans with bills, mortgage, rent, housing, college, and medications . Please note that grants are only given for veterans who can prove financial difficulties. Apply for multiple grants to ensure your needs are met.
We offer information on the following :
(1) grants for rent (2) housing assistance (3) help with bills (4) education grants (5) medical bills grants (6) business grants

How can I protect myself and my children during my separation or divorce?

If you are in immediate danger
If you are afraid of your spouse and think you or your children are in immediate danger, call the police right away.
You have the right to feel safe and to expect help from the police. It is their job.

You can ask the police about getting a protection order for you and your children. If there is a Transition House in BC (Canadian Shelters see below) or safe home in your area, you can also ask the police to take you there, or to another safe place - such as a relative's or friend's house. The police can also refer you to a local Victim Services (Prince George Victim Services call 250-561-3329 - in emergency call RCMPolice at 250-561-3300 - or call 911) office where staff will work with you to develop a personal safety plan. BC VICTIM SERVICE UNITS


If you are not in immediate danger
If you are afraid for your safety or the safety of your children, but you are not in immediate danger, call the Victim Information Line toll-free at 1-800-563-0808. The Line is open 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.
Through the Victim Information Line, you will be referred to a Victim Services (Prince George Victim Services call 250-561-3329 - in emergency call RCMPolice at 250-561-3300 - or call 911) worker in your community, who can tell you about how to get a protection order while you are going through the process of separation or divorce, and refer you to other community resources as needed.
A Family Justice Counsellor can also tell you about protection orders, and you may want to see a lawyer for legal advice.

Please note:
If you have a speech or hearing impairment, you can contact the police or the Victim Information Line by calling the 24-hour 711 (TTY/Voice) telephone or 1-800-855-0511 regular telephone

What can the police do to help me?
In British Columbia, it is a criminal offence (a crime) for anyone - including your spouse - to assault you or your children, or to harass or stalk you, to threaten you with bodily harm or to damage your property.
If you feel afraid or threatened by your spouse, you need to go to the police right away. Once the police have talked to you, they will decide if there is enough evidence to prove that your spouse has committed a criminal offence.

    If there is enough evidence, the police will probably arrest your spouse or former
spouse and ask the Crown counsel (a lawyer employed by the government) to lay
a criminal charge against him. If the Crown approves the charge, your spouse will
have to go to court

If there is not enough evidence, the police may apply for a peace bond - also called
an "810 recognizance" - to protect you from your spouse, or they

We're here to help
Welcome to the Legal Services Society (LSS), the organization that provides
legal aid in BC.
If you have a legal problem and can't afford a lawyer, we can help. Join the thousands who: use the self-help information on our Family Law in BC website,
find information for the Aboriginal community on our Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC website, or, who read our freelegal information publications

Legal Aid Services

·         We have a range of free services that may help you. We give priority to people with low incomes, but many services are available to all British Columbians. We offer:

Information provided by:

our publications;

our Aboriginal website;

the Family Law in British Columbia website;

intake assistants; and,

in some communities, legal information outreach workers and Aboriginal community legal workers.

Advice from:

duty counsel lawyers get (more information),
or family advice lawyers.

Representation (get more information) if you qualify and have:

  serious family problems;

child protection matters;

criminal law issues; or

  some immigration, mental health, and prison law issues.

Mediation services for family law matters through the Mediation Referral pilot program

  You can apply for legal aid by phone or in person.

I'm Looking For

Publications on legal topics

Publications in other languages

Recent news about LSS

Current BC legislation

  I want to Find out if I qualify for a lawyer to take my case

Find out if I qualify for legal advice

Find out how to apply for legal aid

Contact LSS

Community Legal Assistance Society

The Law Centre A Service of the University of
Victoria Faculty of Law

Duty counsel lawyers for criminal law matters

You may be able to get help fromduty counsel in Provincial Court if you:

  • are charged with a crime, and

  • can't get a legal aid lawyer, or

  • haven't yet applied for legal aid

Duty counsel can provide you withadvice about:

  • the charges against you,

  • court procedures, and

  • your legal rights (including the right to counsel and the right to apply for legal aid).

Duty counsel can also represent you at a bail hearing. If there's time, duty counsel can help with a guilty plea.

Who is eligible for duty counsel services?

You don't have to be financially eligible to get criminal duty counsel services. However, you must meet LSS coverage and financial eligibility requirements to receive ongoing representation.

Where to find duty counsel

Duty counsel is available at courthouses throughout the province. For duty counsel hours in your area:

  • Contact your local court registry. (Click the location nearest you to find the court's address, phone number, and hours.)

  • Look in the blue pages of your phone book under "Government of British Columbia — Court Services."

Are you Aboriginal? First Nations Court

If youself-identify as Aboriginal, you may be able to have your bail or sentencing hearing in First Nations Court. Courts are located in:

Duncan - Duncan Court
238 Government Street Duncan, BC V9L 1A5, Phone: 250-746-1258

New Westminster - New Westminster Court
651 Carnarvon Street, New Westminster, BC V3M 1C9, Phone: 604-660-8522

Kamloops - Kamloops Court
455 Columbia Street, Kamloops, BC V2C 6K4, Phone: 250-828-4344

Where to find legal aid services - OFFICES

Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC

What we do
BC Public Interest Advocacy Centre (BCPIAC) is a not-for-profit law office located in Vancouver, Coast Salish Territories. Our mission is to promote equality, fairness and social inclusion by providing legal representation on systemic social and policy issues. Our current areas of focus are improving access to welfare and legal aid, and addressing energy poverty and the cost of utility services. Find out more about these areas.

Access to Welfare
BCPIAC works on systemic issues concerning provincial income assistance (welfare). We are currently focusing on issues impacting access to welfare.

Access to Legal Aid
A significant part of BCPIAC’s mandate is to advocate on behalf of disadvantaged groups to obtain access to justice and equality before the law.

Legal Aid Around the World
Click above link for other countries.

·         Alberta Youth Law

·         Calgary Legal Guidance

·         Edmonton Community Legal Centre

·         Legal Aid Alberta

·         British Columbia Public Interest Advocacy Centre

·         Community Legal Assistance Society B.C.

·         The Law Centre Victoria, British Columbia

·         Legal Services Society B.C.

·         Community Legal Education Association Manitoba

·         Legal Aid, Manitoba

·         Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia

·         Advocacy Centre for the Elderly Toronto

·         Advocacy Resource Centre for the Handicapped (ARCH) Ontario

·         Community Legal Education Ontario

·         Justice for Children and Youth Toronto

·         Keewaytinok Native Legal Services

·         Legal Aid Ontario

·         Aide Juridique Ontario

·         Nishnawbe-Aski Legal Services

·         Ontario Tenants Rights

·         Parkdale Community Legal Services Toronto

·         Queen's Law Students Legal Aid Society Kingston, Ontario

·         Commission des services juridiques Québec

·         Commission des services juridiques - Aide juridique Québec - English

·         Public Legal Education Association of Saskatchewan (PLEA)

·         Legal Aid Saskatchewan

·         Yukon Legal Services Society

Welcome to JusticeBC
This website provides general information about family law in British Columbia. It has information for people considering changes in their family relationships such as separation and divorce, and may be of interest to people thinking of marrying or living with someone in a marriage-like relationship.

Family Justice in B.C.
British Columbia is working hard to ensure the right information and services are available for people looking for solutions to their family law problems. The quick links below may answer some of your questions. If you do not find what you are looking for below, we encourage you to explore this website further to learn more about family justice in B.C.

Peace bond and a restraining orders
What's the difference between peace bonds and family law protection orders?

Protection Orders and the Protection Order Registry

Get Help Now
Peace Bond or Restraining Order
An Online Resource for Victims & Witnesses of Crime in BC

Abuse & family violence
Abuse in relationships includes behaviour ranging from threats to physical or sexual assault, and may also include harmful financial, emotional, and verbal actions. Abuse can be physical, emotional or verbal, psychological, sexual, and/or financial.
Legal System - The Basics
Such as: Abuse
- Agreements - Court Forms - Court Orders - Divorce & Separation
Guardianship - Legislation/Court rules - Mediation - Offers to settle - Parentage  - Getting help

Legal Information BC, Canada & other jurisdictions

Legal Aid in Canada


Canadian Bar Association

Law Society of BC

Law Students Legal Advise Program

BC Aboriginal Friendship Centres

Canada's Court System

Supreme Court of Canada:

Federal Court of Canada:

Tax Court of Canada:

Court Martial Appeal Court:

Provincial Courts

British Columbia:


New Brunswick:

Northwest Territories:

Nova Scotia:



Prince Edward Island:




Other Justice Systems


U.S. Federal Judiciary



World Court (International Court of Justice

Comprehensive listing of native american grants
In all 50 states and major cities

Our website provides detailed information on native american grants that could help low income individuals and families [ two parent and single parent ] with grants and scholarships. Assistance is offered free of cost to eligible families who can offer sufficient documentation to prove financial hardship. These programs help with the following: rent -medical bills - college scholarships - medication - utility bills - mortgage - child care


We are the largest source of grants for women in the USA
Listed here are free grants and financial assistance programs hat help women

With medication, housing, medical bills, rent, utility bills, child care, education, and mortgage, among others.

Find grants faster here since

We have listed grants by state
There is a database of organizations that give grants to women
You can search for grants in all popular cities.


How Much Does A Divorce Cost?

Divorce costs are often based on each individual case and differ from solicitor to solicitor. At Pinnington Law we offer an open approach with fixed fee rates. We will speak directly with you regarding your situation, the divorce, and the potential financial situations that might occur as a result of your divorce.
Usually, the difficulty of the divorce case determines the fees charged. For example, someone who is hiring a solicitor to help fill out paperwork and file with the court system but has an uncontested divorce, generally takes less time for the preparation and actual court situation. A person that may have a contested divorce or trouble getting in contact with their spouse might require more of our time. These differing situations can influence the fixed fee which we will quote you.
Typically, we offer a cost-effective fixed fee in order to help you proceed with the divorce, especially when it simply involves preparing the divorce papers both parties will need to sign. This can include any court, letter writing, and finalisation procedures as well.



Statutes & Consolidated Regulations

BC Government, Canada

Criminal Code of Canada

Justice Laws Website

Abuse of Older Adults




Now Called
Crime Victim Assistance Ac






Over 750,000 hits have been generated since January - 2005