Doors of Hope Doors of Hope - is


Because He Cares

He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and He will reward him for what he has done Proverbs 19:17
Home - Who Are We - Journey of Hope - My Story - Prince George

Subject Locator Index


R U OK? is a movement to help remind  us all  to connect with one another in a meaningful way and to commit to checking in with the people in our lives who might be struggling. Simply asking someone "Are you Okay?" and taking time for them can make a world of a difference. A simple conversation can change a life. To support this movement in Canada you can buy a tshirt and wear it proudly!
Please email or to buy your tshirt in Prince George. Please let us know your size Small - Med - Large - XL
$20.00 each plus shipping the cheapest possible way :)
For more information about R U OK? visit the Australian website or visit the Jim Young Foundation's website at

Reporting Child Abuse Helpline Number

Call the Helpline for Children when you have a concern about the safety and well-being of a child at 310-1234. 310-1234.

This is a toll free number. It is a local telephone number anywhere in the province.

Duty to report abuse or suspected abuse

Anyone who has reason to believe that a child has been or is likely to be abused or neglected has a legal duty under the Child, Family and Community Service Act to report the matter.

How to report

Report to a child protection social worker in either a Ministry of Children and Family Development office, or a First Nations child welfare agency that provides child protection services.

  • Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., call your MCFD Local Service Area office.  You will find a list of offices here:

    *If you need assistance locating any MCFD office, you can call the Client Relations Branch at 250 387-7027, or toll free at 1 877 387-7027.*
  • Monday to Friday, 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. and all day Saturday, Sunday and on statutory holidays, call the Helpline for Children. Dial 310-1234 (no area code needed).

After Hours Line
For emergencies outside office hours (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday).

  • Vancouver, North Shore Richmond, call 604 660-4927
  • Lower Mainland, Burnaby, Delta, Maple Ridge, Langley, call 604 660-8180
  • For the rest of the province, call toll-free 1 800 663-9122

Foster Families' Support Line - After Hours call 1 888 495-4440

4:00 p.m. - 12:45 a.m., Monday to Friday
8:00 a.m. - 12:45 a.m. statutory holidays and weekends

If you have a concern relating to a child in your care during regular office hours, please contact the child's social worker or your own support worker.

What to report
You need not have details or proof prior to calling. But you will be asked for as much information about the concern as you can provide. This will include;

  • Your name and phone number (although you may call anonymously if you prefer)
  • relationship to child
  • any immediate concerns about the child's safety;
  • the location of the child;
  • the child's age;
  • information on the situation including all physical and behavioural indicators observed;
  • information about the family, parents and alleged offenders;
  • the nature of the child's disabilities, if any;
  • the name of a key support person;
  • other child(ren) who may be affected;
  • information about other persons or agencies closely involved with the child and/or family;
  • and any other relevant information concerning the child and/or family such as language and culture.

After you report
The child protection social worker will:

  • determine if the child needs protection;
  • contact the police if a criminal investigation is required;
  • coordinate a response with other agencies, if necessary.

If a child is in immediate danger, police should be called to intervene and a child protection social worker should be contacted to determine whether the child is in need of protection

Child Abuse is Wrong: What Can I Do?

To the reader

What is child abuse?

Physical abuse

Child discipline

Sexual abuse

Emotional abuse


When a parent abducts their child

Violence based on so-called honour

Forced marriage

Female genital mutilation

Signs of abuse

How do I report abuse?

Who can help?

Words used in this booklet


Reports and Publications

Corporate Publications

Criminal Justice

Family Law

Aboriginal Communities


Canada's System of Justice



Information for Children and Youth

This website is for you. You can use it to find out more about family violence and the law in Canada.

    Are you 10 to 12?          Are you 13 and up?





Over 750,000 hits have been generated since January - 2005